The 1st Kharkiv International Legal Forum ‘Law and Problems of Sustainable Development in Globalized World’ was held on October 3–6, 2017
The event was organized by Kharkiv Regional State Administration, Yaroslav Mudryi National Law University and National Academy of Legal Sciences of Ukraine with the support of the United States Agency for International Development New Justice (USAID) and the OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine.
Amidst participants of the forum there were experienced politicians, government officials and academics with a worldwide reputation from Austria, Belgium, Belarus, Bulgaria, the United Kingdom, Georgia, Denmark, Estonia, India, Ireland, Canada, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, the USA, Turkey, Ukraine, Germany, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Sweden, officials of international organizations and EU institutions as well as representatives of law business ( law companies) and famous human rights activists.
Vasyl Y. Tatsiy, Doctor of Law, professor, member of the National Academy of Legal Sciences of Ukraine, rector of Yaroslav Mudryi National Law University opened the International Legal Forum. “The processes of globalization occurring in the world cause great concern, due to the fact that along with certain advantages they also bring new threats, sometimes with unpredictable consequences for the future of mankind. Ecological problems, transnational terrorism, growth of corruption, spreading rapidly in many countries, issues of humanitarian law, etc., are impossible to be solved without jurists and legal experts.” – he said. – “We are expected to generate well-balanced, well-grounded and effective recommendations so as to implement them both in national legislation and in international legal practice as well”.
Chairperson of Kharkiv Regional State Administration Yuliya Svitlychna addressed the participants of the forum on behalf of the President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko. “I am pleased to note that Kharkiv region has become the center of significant national and international events”, – the head of KRSA emphasized.
Greeting the participants with the opening of the Kharkiv International Law Forum Yuriy Lutsenko, Prosecutor General of Ukraine, noted that Kharkiv, as the legal capital of the country, deserved the right to host such a large-scale event. He and pointed out that at present the restoration of the notion of justice is the key issue in establishing Ukrainian state. “We are to combine the notion of “justice” and “fairness”, “justice” and “legitimacy”, – said the Prosecutor General, and stressed that perspective ways could be worked out by Kharkiv forum.
Pavlo Petrenko, Minister of Justice of Ukraine, also greeted the participants. He expressed the hope that, considering current challenges, the forum would propose new mechanisms for prosecuting persons who violated international laws to make these ideas to be approved by the International Criminal Court. He also congratulated the participants of the forum on behalf of Volodymyr Groysman, Prime Minister of Ukraine.
Mykhailo Tepliuk, Deputy Chief of Staff – Head of the Main Legal Department of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, congratulated the participants of the First International Legal Forum and handed over the complimentary address by Andriy Parubiy, Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.
Additionally, the participants of the event were greeted by Sergiy Pyrozhkov, Vice-President of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine; Pavlo Demchina, First Deputy Head of the SBU – Chief of the SBU Main Directorate on Fight against Corruption and Organized Crime of the Central Department of the SBU; Vaidotas Verba, OSCE Project Coordinator in Ukraine; David Vaughn, Chief of the USAID Program “New Justice” in Ukraine, and Algirdas Monkevičius, Assoc. Prof., Rctor of Mykolas Romeris University (Lithuania).
Dieter Fleck is Honorary President of the International Society for Military Law and the Law of War; Member of the Advisory Board of the Amsterdam Center for International Law (ACIL); and Rapporteur of the Committee on Nuclear Weapons, Non-Proliferation and Contemporary International Law of the International Law Association. Dr. Fleck has served as legal advisor […]
Mr. Jörg Pudelka served as a judge at the Administrative Court of Berlin, then as a judge at the Social Court of Berlin. He worked as expert on constitutional law matters in an EU-funded project in the Russian Federation, then as project manager in Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan in the GIZ Program “Support for Legal and […]
Nicolas Fleury – Deputy Head of the ICRC’s Delegation in Ukraine. He has worked in the international and governmental sectors for over 20 years. He has worked with the ICRC since 2001 in several contexts including Uzbekistan, Nagorny Karabagh, Russian Federation and Somalia. He holds a Master in international relations from the Graduate Institute of International Studies […]
Dr Vincent-Joël Proulx is Assistant Professor at the National University of Singapore’s Faculty of Law, where he teaches and researches in the areas of public international law, international dispute settlement, and comparative law. Prior to joining NUS Law, he served a three-year term as Special Assistant to the President of the International Court of Justice […]
Marco Sassòli, a citizen of Switzerland and Italy, is professor of international law at the Faculty of Law of the University of Geneva. From 2001-2003, he has been professor of international law at the Université du Québec à Montreal, Canada, where he remains associate professor. He is commissioner (and alternate member of the Executive Committee) […]
- Round table: “Cyber Security and Information Security: New Challenges of Global Geopolitical Changes” // Moderator: Andrey L. KOZIK, Secretary–General of International Law and Arbitration Association (Belarus, BILA), Member of the Board of Directors of the International Society for Military Law and the Law of War, Member of the Tallinn Manual 2.0 Group – October, 5
- Round table: “Armed Conflict in Ukraine and Modern European and Global Сhanges” // Moderator: Bruno HUSQUINET, independent humanitarian affairs specialist, Deputy Head of the ICRC’s Moscow Regional Delegation in 2014-2015 – October, 5
- Roundtable: Business human rights responsibilities: the experience of the countries of V4 and Baltic states for Ukraine // Moderator: Jane Klementieva, Programme Manager of Danish Institute for Human Rights – October, 4
- Open Lecture: «Globalization and Law: Challenges of modernity» // Bjarne Melkevik, Distinguished Professor, University of Laval (Quebec, Canada) – October, 4
- Roundtable: «Human Rights of Internally displaced persons» // Moderator: Ganna Khrystova, PhD, Senior Project Officer of the Council of Europe Project “Strengthening the Human Rights Protection of Internally Displaced Persons in Ukraine”- October, 5
- Round table: “Improving women`s access to justice ” // Moderator: Antonina Vykhrest, Head of the joint project of the Council of Europe and the EU “Improving access to justice for women in six countries of the Eastern Partnership” – October, 5
- The round-table “Two years of the Political Finance Reform: results, challenges and perspectives”
- Workshop of the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) “Legal Frame of the Security Sector Reform” // October 5th
- Brain-ring on political funding for students // International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) – October, 4
- Open lecture: “How Can the Respect of International Humanitarian Law be Improved” // Marco Sassòli, professor of international law at the University of Geneva Switzerland and associate professor at the Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada – October, 4
- Open lecture: “The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons: Challenges for International Law and Security” // Dieter Fleck, Former Director International Agreements & Policy, Federal Ministry of Defence, Germany; Member of the Advisory Board of the Amsterdam Center for International Law (ACIL); Rapporteur of the ILA Committee on Nuclear Weapons, Non-Proliferation and Contemporary International Law; Honorary President, International Society for Military Law and the Law of War – October, 4
- Open Lecture: “The Role of UN Organs in Implementing State Responsibility in Global Security Contexts” // Vincent-Joël PROULX, Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Law of the National University of Singapore – October, 4